One of the neighbourhoods that you will find on the Central Mountain is the Macassa Neighbourhood. This neighbourhood is located between Fennell Avenue East, Upper Sherman Avenue, Mohawk Road East and Upper Gage Avenue. The Macassa Neighbourhood has many outstanding amenities and is a great location to raise a family.
The majority of the homes in this area were build prior to 1960, primarily being single family detached homes. According to the recent census, the typical age range in this neighbourhood is 20-44 years old, with 34% of the homes containing families.
The Historical significance of “Macassa” goes back to the first aboriginals that settle in the Hamilton area, they called the Hamilton Harbour “Macassa”, meaning “beautiful waters” and this name has become a part of the Hamilton Mountain landscape.
Upper Gage Avenue is one of the mountain roads with direct access to the Lincoln Alexander Parkway, making travel very convenient for residents in this area.
Macassa Lodge is one of two long-term care facilities (nursing home) owned and operated by the City of Hamilton. This facility also offers an Adult Day Program (ADP) with daily community support service for seniors in Hamilton including social, recreational, intellectual and physical activities.
Macassa Park is a large sports park located on Upper Sherman Avenue with several soccer fields, an accessible creative play structure, swings, spray pad and multi-purpose court.
As well, Vincent Massey Park located at Seventh Avenue and East 37th Street contains a multi-purpose court, shade structure, drinking water fountain, 2 play structures (junior and senior), 4 fitness stations, park benches and grass areas.
Vincent Massey Park is located directly behind the former Vincent Massey School, which now houses the Hamilton Educational Archives and the Hamilton Branch of the Ontario Genealogical Society.
Blessed Sacrament Catholic Elementary School is located at 315 E 37th Street, within the Macassa Neighbourhood.
If you are interested in a property in this area, please search here for the Hamilton-Wentworth District School Board and here for the Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board to confirm the schools in your catchment.
The Dairy Queen Chill and Grill is located at 832 Fennell Ave East and will satisfy both the cool and grilled treat cravings.
The Mount Hamilton Youth Soccer Club is also located in the Macassa Neighbourhood (in Macassa Park), inspiring the Hamilton Mountain community, both young and old, to strive for lifelong activity and inclusive team play.
The Hamilton Fire Department Station 4 is located at 729 Upper Sherman Avenue, being advantageous to residents in the area with a possibility of saving money on home insurance.
The city bus is also very accessible for those who do not commute or are looking for a greener way to travel, the HSR provides service along Fennell Avenue East, Upper Sherman Avenue, Mohawk Road East and Upper Gage Avenue. You can find the HSR schedule here.
Within walking distance:
- Food Basics grocery store (Upper Gage Ave. and Mohawk Rd.)
- Metro grocery store (Upper Gage Ave. and Fennell Ave.)
- Freshco grocery store (Upper Gage Ave. and Fennell Ave.)
- Dollarama (Upper Gage Ave. and Fennell Ave.)
- Tim Hortons (sit down and drive thru – Upper Gage Ave. and Fennell Ave.)
- Walmart (Mohawk Rd. and Upper Sherman Ave.)
- Goodness Me! (Upper Gage Ave.)
- The Cutting Edge Studio Salon and Spa (Upper Sherman Ave.)
- Beer Store (Upper Gage Ave. and Fennell Ave.)
- LCBO (Upper Gage Ave. and Fennell Ave.)
- Chicago Style Pizza (Upper Sherman Ave.)
- McDonalds (Upper Gage Ave. and Mohawk Rd.)
- KFC (Upper Gage Ave. and Mohawk Rd)
- Limeridge Mall (Upper Wentworth St.)
- Concession Street – a street full of little shops
- Juravinski Hospital
- multi-use trail for walking or cycling along the mountain brow
A few minutes drive to:
- Albion Falls
- King’s Forest Walk
- Red Hill Trail
- amenities, shopping options and multiple restaurants located on Upper James St.
- NEW* No Frills grocery store located at Rymal Rd. and Upper Sherman Ave.
- Fortinos grocery store (Mall Rd.)
- Mohawk College
Other neighbourhoods located on the Central Mountain include:
- Concession Street
- Hill Park
- Inch Park
To learn more about homes for sale in the City of Hamilton and other areas that may interest you, please subscribe to the blog.